Beauty & Fashion Follower

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Native Americans

Native Tribes


The Sioux tribe are Native American and first nations people in North America. The Sioux traveled freely, but today most Sioux people live in the Dakotas. The women would build their home and were in charge of it and would drag heavy pots whenever the tribe moved. Men were hunters and warriors, responsible for feeding and defending their families. Usually only men became Sioux chiefs, but both genders took part in storytelling, artwork and music. 
Sioux women wore long deerskin or elkskin dresses. Sioux men worse breechclothes and leggings and buckskins shirts. The Sioux wore moccasins on their feet and buffalo-hide robes.

Sioux Warriors and chiefs were all well-known for their impressive feathered warbonnets, but they didn't wear them in everyday life. This is what interested me about the Native Americans, I wanted to style my Catwalk look around the giant feather headdresses that the warriors wore. Men and women both wore their hair long and had long braids and plaits in their hair. I think this would be so good to re-invent and base my catwalk look on.
                             
Men often wrapped their braids in fur or tied quillwork strips around them. On special occasions, Sioux people painted their faces and arms with bright colours and animal designs. they used different patterns for war paint and festive decoration. 


Development:

I absolutely love this giant feather headdress. This would be suitable for my catwalk look, as this headdress can easily be fastened on. I could design it for the purpose of the catwalk too, allowing quick and easy access. 

Native American inspired looks:
I love how bright and colourful this look is. The hair is braided and coloured, this is bringing the traditional native american look to the modern day.
I really like the different colours and textures in this image.

Textures & Fabrics

These are some different fabrics and objects that are I think are inspiring for my native american catwalk look, as I have to think about the whole outfit, accessories, hair, make-up and clothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment